Shadows Shadows

I love this. I haven't played the Silent Hill games but for some reason this makes me think of some of Daniel Licht's music. You're so versatile with so many different pieces here! I don't understand why I didn't listen to these other pieces of yours earlier. You're slowly but surely becoming my new idol! ;D

Wilting Away Wilting Away

Ohh, how many great pieces from you I've missed! Did you play this yourself? This reminds me of the soundtrack from the movie The Intouchables, which was made by Ludovico Einaudi. It's not exactly like this but it has a similar, simple style. I personally would have preferred this with more reverb though.

Mattashi responds:

I did play this but in parts xD I'm not that great at the piano to play it well in one take.
I'm going to check out that soundtrack you mentioned!
And I agree with you, I should have added a bit more reverb to the piano.

The Weapon The Weapon

Really cool! I wasn't expecting to hear something like this from you! Maybe I just haven't listened to enough of your music? I really liked the slowdown at 02:45. I've only associated you with the world music pieces you've made so this was definitely a positive surprise. I want more! :) I so wish I had the libraries and skills to make stuff like this :D

Mattashi responds:

Thank you Thonz! :)
There's allot of musical genres that I love so I try to write in many genres and love to try new things.
I'll probably make a few more like these in the future :) (maybe even an album!)
and don't worry about skills just keep on composing, experiment allot, listen to music that inspires you and you'll keep getting better and better :)

Madness Madness

If this truly is a description of a schizophrenics mind it must be one hell of a condition to live your life with. This really is scary. As LSD already mentioned, I think it would definitely work in a horror game. Like when you enter a place where there is some supernatural thing lurking in the corners just waiting to get at you. I don't want to keep listening to this which I guess makes this piece do it's job perfectly :D

KatMaestro responds:

Every schizophrenic person has different hallucinations. They're rarely similar.

Feather Feather

I also have trouble understanding how exactly I inspired you to create a piece like this. Though I am very flattered and grateful for the attention I'm getting from you.

The piece I think is brilliant. I like to keep a playlist to listen to on headphones while I'm laying on the bed before getting to sleep and this one definitely earns a place on that list. It produces a nice tingly feeling while listening to it with my eyes closed. For a first attempt in ambient this is excellent, shows that you're a genius.

The only beef I have with this is the pause at 02:10. The first time I listened to this, it made me wonder what happened. Did the piece just end abruptly? I'm not sure if it's just me, but I don't think that's a very good thing to have in a piece like this. I also wish this was longer.

KatMaestro responds:

The pause was intended. Because I find out that it sound quite boring after 2 minutes long, I just end it there and move on to other melodies. It's an interesting transition :).

Beyond Beyond

It's so goddamn depressing to see you creating quality pieces every other day while I'm spending loads of time trying to make something that could at least be called decent and only ending up with crap! :D I wish I could somehow absorb at least a part of your skills.

Though I have to say it would be great to hear if you actually spent a lot of time with a piece and made something unbelievably amazing. I think you definitely could manage something like that.

KatMaestro responds:

Sorry that I misunderstood the sarcasm :). Thank you for the insights and thoughts :). Thank you very much dude.

When It's Cold When It's Cold

This is a simple yet very beautiful piece and I think it fits the source of inspiration really well. It doesn't stand a lot of listening because of the simplicity, but it definitely works nicely as a piece you listen to once in a while when you're in a certain mood.

It's a shame you had to rush it. I find myself wishing there was something more to this. More variation, more instruments? Though on the other hand that might just completely ruin what the piece is at the moment.

I definitely want to hear more from you. It's nice to see a fellow Finn creating quality music here. If this is the quality you make when you rush, I wonder how good you'll sound when you actually have time to make everything the way you want. :)

LucidShadowDreamer responds:

Thanks Thonz! You're very right in that this doesn't stand much listening to. I think that I never intended for this to be much else than background music, but it would definitely have many more elements if I would've had the time :) I'm still probably going to improve it sometime far into the future XD

I wish there was something more to this too. I don't think that more instruments would ruin the piece, if only they are done right, so to speak. I think I'll go and give your piece a listen now ;)

I've noticed that I'm not the only Finn on this site either (How'd you get so good at speaking English?)! The quality of my music really depends much on how inspired I am, what type of genre I'm venturing into, as well as, of course, the time. This time, I was quite inspired, so the piano part only took one hour to make (almost two before I had a good recording and mix :p). But if I had the time and the skill to make everything sound like I wanted, I think I could do quite well. In a few weeks, I should have the time. I'll just need to aquire that skill somewhere...

Sacred Chants Sacred Chants

High quality as can be expected from you. I really love atmospheric pieces like this one. You can just close your eyes and enjoy. I especially like the beginning up until about the one minute mark. After that I have to agree that initially it felt like an important layer is missing. Something that has a clear melody perhaps, I don't know. Though having listened to this more times, I'm not so sure about that anymore actually. :)

Emid responds:

You made the point in last sentences which is consistent with my thoughts. I will redo this song because I think the structure is not proper. Thanks a lot for your insight.

Stay in the Fall Stay in the Fall

I'm not exactly a fan of this genre of music, but I do like this one quite a bit. In the context of the competition I think it stands out from many other entries because of the high quality of production and also because of the singing. There hasn't been many submissions with vocals and none where I've actually liked them, but I think your singing sounds great. I also think you nailed the feel of the artwork.

motakay responds:

Thank you dude! Makes me really glad to hear that you like the singing! I am really struggling to stay in tune! :)

Our Legend Falls Our Legend Falls

It must have been a lot of fun to collaborate in this way and wow, what an outcome it had. This really is a benchmark performance in this contest! I haven't heard any of your other pieces, but judging from what you described as your strengths, you really seem to have blended them together perfectly. I certainly will be listening to more of your music now :)